Thursday 13 December 2007

'Neeve nanna ..thaayi..thande...ouch'

My roomie got a PSP lite and along with that an UMD of Grand Theft Auto:Liberty City Stories.

I thought I'll play for a few minutes just to see how it is, but was really hooked on to it. The game is a perfect tool to vent all your frustrations and tensions you face in the real world.

You are a goon in the game and it allows you to go and hit/kick/thrash/shoot any random people in the street (including old ladies ....ha ha ha...). Actually there are missions for you to complete. But since these missions are tough and I got killed every time, I tried to complete a mission, all I do is roam the streets, picture all the real life people who can do with a good thrashing or two in my mind and then pick any person on the street and beat the s**t out of that person.

Also you can stop any vehicle(cars,vans, trucks, bikes,scooters, buses, even police cars), throw the driver out and drive away with the vehicle. Its cool..

During one such hijack, I threw a sardar(how stereotypical?) taxi driver out and was making a getaway, the FM radio (station radio del mundo) in the taxi started belting out a kannada song !!!. I was like wtf ?...When its becoming increasingly difficult to hear Kannada in namma Bengalooru ,I am sitting in my bedroom in awfully cold UK, playing a game which was created by a US company hearing a Kannada song in the game....what are the odds of that happening?...

For those with an eye for details and all those Kannadada huttu horatagaras (Kannada activists----for all you Kannada challenged people), no the song is not from any of 'Natasarvabhauma', 'Gaana Gandharva', 'Dada Saheb Phalke Prashasti Vijeta', 'Karnataka Ratna' Dr.Rajkumar annavru's films. But its the 'dance...dance...raja...dance' (here's the video) from the movie 'Dance...Raja...Dance' starring Vinod Raj...

The FM station also plays 'dum...maaro...dum' and the RJ is one Panjit Gavaskar who speak insane things. It was a surreal experience and all the while I was enjoying listening to a long forgotten song which I had loved very much when it was released (The movie was a remake of one and only Mithun prabhuji's greatest hit 'disco dancer' and the songs were a huge hit.....I remember me and my brother dancing to the songs when we were young enough to jump up and down on a bed shouting and call that a dance and get away with that without getting scolded by parents....If my memory doesn't fail me as it usually does , I also remember- during one of our I am better than Michael Jackson (yes, he was our dance idol then and only later I came to know about his love for children) dance fest- my brother falling,his head colliding with the edge of a shelf and had to get his head stitched...oh ...those were good old days...!!!)

I see I have digressed too much (this is what happens when a single song or word or a movie scene unlocks all those locked up memories and you are transported to the days of yore....here I go again !!!). Where was I ?...ah...yes...I was enjoying a Kannada song....in a taxi which I hijacked from a punju driver after kicking him....and in my joy I never saw the police car which came in front of me and collided it. The cops promptly got out of the car and pumped bullets in to me....I was killed. That ended my life on the run...

Now my only aim in the game is to get hold of all the taxis, kick the driver out and then hope that the song is played again....and yes the pleasure of hitting people which you cannot do in real life makes me feel I am in control of things for once, at least in virtual world.....unless somebody else hits me back and make me realise that virtual worlds too have jerks who can make your life miserable.....until then...is that a old lady crossing the road?....yes it is ...ok gotta go....I have a game to play....'ouch..ouch....no old lady, I was not beating you...but just helping you to cross the road (even the old ladies hit back and she does have a mean right hook)...ouch ...aaaargh'...

PS: My sincere thanks to the programmer who included the Kannada song in the game......


No comments: